Window blinds have undergone a massive transformation over the past many years. Roller blinds have displayed complete transformation in design and manufacturing technology. Roller blind fabrics are available in a wide range of colors, weights, textures, finishes, and patterns.
Structure of a Roller Blind
Roller blinds are window blinds made from a long, single piece of durable fabric of a specific weight which has been made fade proof through a chemical process and fray-proof through lamination by heat sealing. The lamination prevents the fabric from fraying as the weave is sealed and rules out the need for any hemming. The fabric is rolled tightly around a tube that which can fit easily inside or outside any window recess using retaining brackets. A chain or cord is attached to turn the roller tube and roll or unroll the fabric on the tube as required. Cord usage can be eliminated when blinds are motorized. They can be operated using wall mounted switches or remotes or internet controlled mobile apps.
Factors to Consider When Selecting Roller Blinds
- Purpose of the blind – light blocking, privacy or light diffusing
- Roll type based on window configuration – front roll to hide or back roll to expose the roller tube
- Mounting Position – inside or outside the window recess.
- Measurement Size – blind size or recess size. While mentioning blind size, ensure that the blind extends to some length beyond both sides of the window frame. Recess size is needed when the blind is installed inside the window recess.
- Fabric quality and compatibility with the window and room in which it is to be used. For example, moist places like bathrooms need mildew mold treated fabric, kitchen requires a fabric that is fire retardant and provides ease of rolling and cleaning while doors with handles can obstruct smooth functioning of blinds. Places, where light needs to be blocked, require blackout coated fabrics.
- Cord usage in blinds or motorization of blind depending on the presence of young children
- Control Side – whether left-hand control or right-hand control.
- Shading Type – Positional shading wherein a roller blind can be fully open, fully closed or partially extended. Chemical coated shading obtained by using chemical coating treatment on the roller fabric like a wipe-able, blackout, fire retardant or dim-out. The color and weight of the fabric can also provide some amount of shading.
The popularity of roller blinds is on the rise because of the choices it offers. Hope the above article helps you in the selection of roller blinds.